While we are located in the heart of Madison County in the town of Winterset, Madison County Realty serves all of the people and communities throughout and adjacent to Madison County. Residents of our county are located just a short 20 to 50 minute drive from Des Moines, Iowa, the capital city. Easily accessible from I-80 and I-35, Des Moines is a short commute for those who desire the small town lifestyle. Check out information on the communities in our county, which draws tourists annually because of an actor, a festival, and a book/movie. Additionally, we have limestone bluffs and rolling hills that add character to our landscape, along with fertile fields and farms, gentle streams and wildlife.
There are over 15,000 residents in the county, many of whom reside in the towns of Winterset, Truro, Earlham, St. Charles, Patterson, Macksburg, East Peru, and Bevington. At Madison County Realty, we list homes for sale and help buyers find a home, list and sell land, farms, and developments, as well as provide auction services. Allow us to assist you with a relocation to one our fine communities.
Families throughout the county are served by three school districts:
Business & Economic Development
The Covered Bridges
The Bridges of Madison County, a novel written by Robert James Waller, and also made into a movie starring Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep, was set here. And, annually, thousands trek to see our beautiful covered bridges, many of whom come during the Madison County Covered Bridge Festival.
Museums, Attractions & More
Born Marion Robert Morrison in the early 1900s in a modest home in Winterset, our native son went on to become the renowned actor John Wayne, starring in many feature films. The John Wayne Birthplace & Museum is located just off the historic Winterset town square.
Other amenities and attractions include:
- Agritourism: Pammel Park Coffee Company, Pepperharrow Farm & More
- Dining Options, as well as Winterset Hy-Vee and Fareway
- The Iowa Theater
- Guest Lodging Options: Numerous Bed & Breakfasts and Hotels
- Lakeview Country Club — Golf
- Madison County Conservation Center — In Development
- Madison County Parks: Shelters, Campground, Hiking, and the Middle River Water Trail
- National Register of Historic Places: The Winterset Town Square & More
- Wineries & Spirits: Featuring Live Music Events
- Winterset Aquatic Center
- Winterset Parks, Shelters & Campground
For more detailed information on Madison County’s History and many more local links, please visit Madison County Iowa.